The implications of lack of focus are many – and it can sabotage your life in ways that you may not suspect. You may develop mental and physical health problems and it could put a severe strain on personal and work relationships.
Severe and continued lack of focus can indicate that you may have ADD/ADHD which can affect adults as well as children. But, most people who suffer from lack of focus have a temporary condition that can be treated or turned around.
If you’re suffering from lack of focus in some or all areas of your life, aspects of your life may be headed downhill. For example, if you’re finding it difficult to focus, you may not complete that important, revenue generating project. Here are five common ways that lack of focus can sabotage your life:
1. Depression – Lack of focus can make you extremely unhappy in both your personal and business life. You aren’t living in the moment or focusing on what you’re currently involved in and spend hours on mindless activities.
2. Fatigue – Lack of focus and flitting from one thing to another with no end in sight can cause severe fatigue. You may begin sleeping more than you should or have bouts of sleeping less so that you wake up tired. It may come to the point that it’s difficult to function normally.
3. Ill Health – You may be affected physically by lack of focus. Decreased energy levels may make it difficult for you to get enough exercise, stick to a healthy diet and make you more susceptible to various illnesses – both long and short term.
4. Inability to Cope – When you suffer from lack of focus, you may feel mentally exhausted and unable to cope with even the simplest aspects of daily life. Mental exhaustion can also keep you from achieving deadlines at work or concentrating on a difficult task.
5. Procrastination – An inability to focus may put you at risk for procrastinating about things on your ‘to-do’ list. This, in turn, causes high anxiety and more stress. It can become a vicious circle that’s difficult to break.
Lack of focus can cause hardships in every area of your life. Relationships can be greatly affected because when you lack focus, your mind tends to be scattered. Your personality changes and you become more irritable, impatient and forgetful.
For some, lack of focus can become a habit that’s difficult to overcome. But, there are ways to fight back and regain your concentration powers. Having an organized office or workspace is a great start. If you're overwhelmed with paper and electronic clutter (which may stem from spiritual and emotional clutter), we invite you to request our FREE Office Transformation Blueprint. Print out the last page and post it up somewhere in your office where you can see it as a reminder to keep information flowing, so your environment (and your mind) are free from any extra clutter.
Next, a Certified Productive Environment Specialist™ (CPES) can help you organize your time, space and information so you can focus, and ultimately accomplish your work and enjoy your life. Click the blue link below to complete our Productive Environment Scorecard™ so we can connect you with a Specialist for a complimentary consultation! :)
If you think you'd enjoy a career teaching others how to become systemized, organized and focused, click the red link below to find out how to become a Certified Productive Environment Specialist™.